Table des matières
* (photo source)
As my first article as a collaborator, I wanted to show you my sense of self-deprecation with a failed attempt. We cannot always succeed everything, especially when we are not really pastry chefs! So here are the 6 things not to do to make a log cake.
6 do’s and don’ts for making a log cake
- Do not make three cakes of a different color, but a single recipe that you will divide into three and color them in red, brown and black (it is possible to make a checkerboard with other colors, but I wanted the style « shirt « for this one) before baking them. I wanted a huge cake, but it really didn’t hold up well, especially when cut.
- Do not forget to even out the top of the cakes, ideally dig them a little inward. Otherwise, once stacked, they will form a domed effect on top of the cake.
- Do not skimp on the frosting. Glue the cakes together with a fairly thick and dark buttercream for a nice effect. For the outer layer, color it in beige to make a contrast with the chocolate in shavings.
- Don’t make the cake too soft. As it will be cut into three circles, it could sag under the weight of the cake tiers. You have to do it a little more firmly.
- Do not be at the last minute to try to make this cake. You have to take your time to cut out each of the circles well so that the checkerboard is perfect.
- Do not decorate the cake hot. It is best to refrigerate the cake and the buttercream a little before decorating it, so that the chocolate does not slip.
And for more visual people, I found (late!) A great video that explains all the steps to follow to make a log cake!
But ultimately, this cake was perfect …
This cake was made for my husband’s 40th birthday party. I wanted to surprise him, so it was done at the last minute, between the time he left for work and the time when I had to go up to the room where I was expecting thirty people. Needless to say, it was done in a hurry and it was impossible for me to test it before, as the party was a surprise. Despite everything, this cake was really perfect for a party under the theme » Redneck « , the look is perfect for this theme! And then, after all, it was really good and we had a lot of fun. Isn’t that the most important thing?
Follow Mary on her Marycotton Holidays page
Keep these things in your pins!